Monday, May 15, 2017

My Other Creations: Home Sweet Home Memory Cards using Tim Holtz's Artful Dwellings Die Set

"Home Sweet Home" is this week's theme at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.  I made a set of journaled cards listing my favorite home memories room by room.


Several years ago, my dad decided to write his personal history, which has been an awesome treasure for our family.  One idea my mom shared with him as a way to dig up memories was for him to draw a rough-sketch floor plan of the house he grew up in.  Then he looked at the floor plan and jotted down various memories he had with each room in the house.  I decided to run with that idea and make cards filled with memories from the rooms in the home I grew up with.

I started with some pages that I washi-taped and painted with acrylic paint.


Next I cut some house shapes out of chipboard with Tim Holtz's Artful Dwellings and covered them in patterned paper.  I used the negative space so that I had house frame shapes.



I painted and stamped my house frames and glued them to my collaged pages.  Then I labeled each house with the room it represents.













On the back of each card, I listed memories that go along with that room.


Once the cards were done, I tied them in a bundle with crinkle ribbon that I'd dyed.


I feel grateful to have grown up in such a loving home where happy memories are easy to find.  And I was glad to make a project that reflected that.

Here are the supplies I used that you can find at Simon Says Stamp:

How will you interpret our theme this week?  Upload your creations to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog for your chance to win a $50 to the Simon Says Stamp store.

17 comments:

  1. I love this Andrea! what a fabulous and original way to store happy memories! LOVE them :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to keep so many amazing memories. I love this, Andrea!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, this is such a wonderful idea! I totally love what you created, and it was fun seeing the memories you shared on the back of one. I have to try this! Super cool! I think this would make an amazing class, hint, hint! xx Maura

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO COOL! I love the house you built on this sheets. Colors, details and motifs - crazy as always but I was absolutely expecting them. Great, optimistic, colorful and fantastic. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful idea...a special way to cherish precious memories!!! Love it...❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. this is such a brilliant creation, Andrea. Love the beautiful collaged background and the stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Gorgeous colors and great idea about the rooms of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea !!!!! I haven't used my dwelling die in a while, so this surely is a great way to record memories of our home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely idea. When we finally sold the house where we grew up, my mother, my brother and I went round the empty rooms, pausing in each one to share memories connected with that room. It was a wonderful way to say goodbye and thank you to a much-loved home. I love how you've used the negative house cuts to frame the memories, and the colours and spontaneity makes me happy, as always.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm teary eyed, how wonderful is this Post?!?! What a great idea from your Dad, I love that! And then you took that one step further. These are beautiful pieces of home complete with your wonderful memories. Please do tell more about that Surfer Boy lol Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea and design!! It is so beautifully executed. This is great idea for kids as well. Thank you for sharing such an inspired concept.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea and I love the thought behind this project...it really does make it that extra bit special and so totally unique! It's fabulous Andrea and another inspired project to put on my list... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this!!!!!! Fabulous project!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the story behind this project Andrea and as always you are so creative...love how you used the artful dwellings...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You feed my shopping needs!!! I was browsing just a couple of weeks ago some new dies to buy and I totally bypassed that one you used from Tim Holtz....now....well...now I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always your use of dies, colors and stamps are totally wonderful! this is a fantastic idea! A wonderful project on this themed challenge! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous idea - I just love it! I immediately thought of places where I lived as a child and memories that went with each room! This would be a lovely treasure to hand on to your children too! I love your creativity - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete