Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tutorials: Altering Patterned Paper II

Happy weekend, fellow crafters! You know how I love an altered patterned paper background, so here's my latest creation, followed by the tutorial on how it came to be:



I started out with a piece of striped patterned paper from DCWV.  From hard lessons learned, I now start all these types of projects on a surface covered with newspaper or some other table-protecting substance.



Next up, a little Gesso.



And you know how I love me some acrylic paint and vintage book pages!  I decided to paint one of the cute little pears to make it stand out more.



Once dry, I added some stamping with this polka dot stamp by Stampabilities and some Tim Holtz Distress Ink and Colorbox ink in shades of green.



Next I trimmed the piece down and added a sentiment with these fantabulous alphabet stamps from Ma Vinci's Reliquary.  If you love alphabet stamps and haven't checked out Ma Vinci's before, I would invite you to do so immediately.  Be forewarned: drooling may ensue!  There are some great fonts available!

Since my page had pears on it, I decided to go with the phrase, "Feed Your Soul."  I used Ranger Black Archival ink for the sentiment.



I thought it needed a little something more at the bottom, so I glued some fabric scraps, yarn and flowers to the bottom.  I also attached my collage to a piece of patterned paper and adhered the whole thing to an 8x8 canvas.  I put fabric around the edges of the canvas so it looked finished if you saw it from the side (thick piece of canvas) and then inked all around it with Tim Holtz Distress ink (Peacock Feathers and Black Soot) applied with a wedge-shaped make up sponge.



For the very final step, I decided to put a pair of glasses on my pear so my pear would look more intelligent.  I did this by adding a piece of eyeglass-patterned Washi tape made by Spare Parts.  I also added some Washi to the upper left corner (Washi by MME and Recollections).

 
So there you have it!  Another fun adventure with altering patterned paper.  Thanks for checking out my blog, loyal readers!