Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Cards and Tags: Fly

You know I'm a fabric fiend, so I thought I'd post a picture of this bird card I recently made.  I stamped the bird image, then sewed around it with my machine, shaded it with ink, then added a crown that I cut from a piece of patterned fabric.  I also used a text stamp to help add dimension to the background.


This card is especially meaningful to me because one of the background fabric pieces I used came from a box that was lovingly assembled by my grandma.  She was a quilter and had several boxes of patterned and solid fabric arranged by color and often cut into quilt block triangles and squares; just waiting for her talented hands.  That means a lot to me.  Creativity, after all, is not an isolated gift-- it's something that can tie us to our past and can keep us connected to those we love the very most.  Whenever I incorporate my grandma or mother's fabric or lace, I feel closer to them and have a deep gratitude for the bond we share as we try, throughout our lives, to make things more beautiful.